Can antivirus remove malware?, Can antivirus stop hackers?, Can I get McAfee free?, Can Kaspersky remove malware?, Does Kaspersky detect malware?, Does Kaspersky remove viruses?, Does McAfee cost money?, Does McAfee Total Protection remove viruses?, How can I extend my McAfee Antivirus?, How do I install Norton Security Deluxe?, How much does McAfee cost per year?, How much does Norton Identity Safe cost?, How much is Norton Security Deluxe?, Is Kaspersky malware?, Is Norton a security?, Is Norton security a virus?, What does McAfee Total Protection include?, What is better Mcafee or Norton?, What is Norton Security Deluxe?, Which Kaspersky is the best?, Which Norton product is best?, Will McAfee remove viruses?
The main job of an antivirus is to detect a malware and deal with it before it causes any problem. But, this is not the case anymore. Today we possess lots of threats from various ways.
The Internet is a good place for entertainment, passing time, gaining information. But, where there’s a good, there is also a bad! It is also a spot for spreading viruses, trojans, malware. The Internet security is not only about countering malware, it is only a small part of the web. The Internet security nowadays is more about protecting privacy, data, and security from ransomware.
There is also another type of threat called “zero-day attack”, in which the malware is so new that no one knows about its presence. It hasn’t been analyzed or had its “signatures” built into malware database. So, the main factor here is at which speed at which these analyses are made by the security provider.
The security industry is growing faster and faster these days. There is “next gen” protection, which analyzes the behavior of programs and decides a particular action that needs to be taken. Artificial intelligence is also crawling its way into some Softwares. It monitors the activity of certain programs and caught it while attempting some unexpected operation. For example – Ransomware can be detected while attempting an unexpected encryption of files.
How Should You Choose Your Antivirus?
Security issues are not what they used to be in the past. Viruses are developing as each day passes. But the good news is today’s AV Softwares are also evolving against such issues, as the day passes they became more and more intelligent and equipped to face new threats.
In the past, Antivirus Software were able to defend you against the viruses and malware which were well known. But, today’s AV can also defend you against malware which is new and unknown. We choose many popular AV Softwares and tested them vigorously including many factors.
A good Antivirus should be able to defend you against malware using the traditional signature-based method as well as from new unknown malware which is not defined in malware database. A good Antivirus also should have a low impact on the performance of your PC. Otherwise, what is the benefit of spending money on the Software which degrades your machine’s performance?
Scan speed is also an important factor while choosing AV Software. An Antivirus should have good scanning speed otherwise, it isn’t worth it to spend money on the Software which takes hours of computer time in scanning.
The cleanup action is also another factor which should be taken into consideration while choosing your Antivirus Software. A good AV Software should take an appropriate action if it detects an infection, we should take into consideration what action does the AV software takes.
Here we have made the list of Antiviruses Softwares which are best in kind. You can spend your money on any one of them as the difference between them is very tiny. Every product in this list is worth your money.
Best Antivirus for PC
Bitdefender Total Security 2018
It is the most popular Antivirus available for Windows, Mac OS, and Android. It has remained the choice of many experts throughout many years. It offers excellent protection from new threats such as ransomware. It provides very simple UI and excellent protection against threats.
It also contains many other useful features like – Password manager, File Shredder, Anti-Theft and data protection.
McAfee Total Protection 2018
McAfee total protection is another one of the best Antivirus protection available. The major feature for McAfee AV is its AV scanner and its web/email protection. The scan engine used by McAfee is award winning and one of the best signature-based scanners available. Another feature includes Intel’s True Key, which uses your face or fingerprint to authenticate logins.
File Lock is basically a vault which keeps your data and files safe by using password and encryption. It can protect your files against programs such as ransomware. McAfee shredder will ensure your deleted file remains deleted. McAfee WebAdvisor protects you from potentially dangerous Websites and phishing attacks, it scans your downloads and alerts you about the threat. Vulnerability Scanner scans your programs regularly for updates and downloads them if available.
Norton Security Deluxe 2018
It is a product by Symantec. It uses “next gen” technology which monitors the behavior of the certain program to detect if it’s malware or not, they call it SONAR protection which is its parent’s technology.
The other feature includes disk optimizer, which defragments disk to make it faster. Browser protection protects you online, downloads also gets scanned for potential threats. File cleanup tool deletes the temporary files and frees up disk space. Startup manager delays certain programs from starting to improve your boot time.
Kaspersky Total Security 2018
Kaspersky Total Security is another one of the best AV Software available in the market. The package includes a browser which helps you to get rid of web tracking. Also, there is Kaspersky Safe Money which helps you in keeping your online transaction secure. It also contains onscreen keyboard to defend against programs such as keyloggers.
Other features include data vault which encrypts your files and keeps them safe from ransomware attacks. Parental Control and Software cleaner are also available in the Software bundle.
If you are using Bitdefender and not satisfied with it, I highly doubt any other solutions will be of help. I’m saying this as I consider Bitdefender and Emsisoft to be the best programs for home/ small business use.
I have tested and worked for numerous blogs and never saw something as awesome as Bitdefender. ( User since 2008 ). I tried Kaspersky and Symmantec (Norton ), however I felt like Kaspersky is missing some samples I tried. Symmantec was awesome in detection but not that user friendly and high on resource usage. ( Same was the case for Bitdefender total security ).
I would recommend reading this answer I had written some times back:
If you read the above passage, you’ll understand that there are no permanent cure for viruses and all software won’t catch and even if detected successfully block them. However there are some things you can do to protect yourself.
- Updates, updates and updates: update OS, Security software, browser, java, flash player and any other programs.
- Use ad-blockers like ublock and adbp
- Clean temporary files regularly. There are a ton of free programs like advanced system care, ccleaner,wise cleaner etc.
- Use a anti-key-logger and anti-malware along with your security software. Do please check for compatibility issues. eg: zemana, emsisoft etc.
- Disable auto play
- Enable firewall or use internet security software instead of antivirus
- Set auto scan for portable devices including HDD, DVD,Pen drives etc.
- Enable automatic scan by security software. Make it atleast once in a week.
- If you think Bitdefender is not performing well. and provided your computer has powerful hardware, go for small business security solution from Symmantec or upgrade to a Bitdefender small security package. This will take a toll on your system resources.
- Disable remote access to registry.
- make sure you scan the files downloaded from internet.
If you want a short description on how I rate some programs (Out of 10 ). Here goes the list: ( My observation is for the home need and on antivirus only, for other versions like office security the opinion is prone to change, also I only take protection in to consideration, not cost )
- Avira: Best free antivirus. Paid version is also great. Good and fast updates. Rating: 8
- Avast: Second best IMO. But makes me stay away from it as the number of false positives are more than I expected. Also a bit complex interface. Rating : 7.5
- AVG : One of the oldest in the lot. I had good fun with avg in the past with a 1.7 GHz Pentium processor. But things have changed, I can only say decent detection rate but decent system resource usage. Average protection, easy interface. Rating 7.5
- Bitdefender : Best of the best. I liked the software a lot. But not the resource usage by total security, it did slow down my computer. But great detection and less false positives. Easy interface, more features than a normal user will ever need and decent support. Rating 9.5
- F-Secure: Started from mobile antivirus, Now on to PC too. Good detection rate and easy on the system Rating :9
- Symmantec Norton: My old favorite. Great or greatest detection rate. In par with Kaspersky, but got fast scanning. Irecommend using this one. Rating 9.5
- Kaspersky: Good detection rate, however missed some confirmed samples on the project I did. Considering the samples were old, I am a bit skeptical about the detection. Every other bit is almost perfect. In par with Norton. Recommend using this software. Rating: 9
- Emsisoft : If I don’t like Bitdefender, I’m definitely going for this one. Fast scanning, multiple updates, great detection ( does have some false positives ) and easy interface. The whole package. Recommend to use as a supplement to your existing antivirus. It is no secret that some other anti-virus use their scanner technology to enhance detection. Rating 10 or 9.5
- McAfee : This was suppose to be the king. However not that well in performing. The detection rate was very good, but not excellent. Rating: 6
- Windows Defender: Basically if you don’t use internet a lot and download files, you need only this. Easy on system resources and easy to manage. One of the simplest program to master. Rating :7
- ESET : This might upset ESET fan boys, however I must say that ESET is not on the same level as Bitdefender, Kaspersky or Norton in detection. But easy update and very low resource usage tends me to use this program. Rating:8.5
- Panda : This one is a toughie. I like the functionality but hate it’s interface. Rating: 8
- Trend micro :Once in par with Norton, but not any more. Trend micro offers relatively good protection. Rating 8.5
- Quick heal: The Indian contribution. Famous in India, but do not provide enough protection. Rating : 8
- Bull Guard & G-Data: Both felt awfully similar in detection. Rating :8.5
- Vipre: Once almost got close to being best. But don’t know the current status. Rating at that time (2k12 range ) : 9
- Malware bytes, Hitman Pro & Super antispyware: Supplement package for security. Added malware database to detect ad remove. Rating : 8
- Zemana: This one prevents keystrokes being stolen/ tracked. Rating:9
- SmadAV : Relatively unknown, detects a variety of small viruses and malware. You might be thinking why I included it here then? Well this small software can detect many samples that best of the best antivirus won’t detect, even the free version is a peach. Use it as a supplement to your system’s security. Rating:9